Miguel – Week 5

(Just realized my post was never published)

I started with Khalifa, Gooden & Davis (2016) and I had to pause a few times after reading particular sections. I first paused when they mentioned that culturally responsive leadership alone cannot solve the major challenges (p. 1273). My second pause after reviewing the definition of terms. Another pause came when reviewing the results and the section highlighting “challenging whiteness”. Each of these pauses happened because I had some inner dialogues with myself. Tilman (2004) was an absolute joy to review. I really enjoyed the historical context for 3 reasons: 1) I need to be aware of the historical context of multiple things in general, 2) Tilman (2004) offers the multiple complexities regarding segregation and Black families still valuing schools (an act of resistance), and 3). It provided specific info on the Black “principal in a pre-brown era” which is something I have not ever considered.

Some of the questions/thoughts I marinated on was:

1. What do I challenge the most? why?
  2. How can providing a definition of terms for my own research make me a better scholar?
  3. The notion of “a single answer”
  4. Am I who I say I am?
  5. How might I lean into Tilman (2004) more and draw connections to my research?
  6. What about the term CRSL triggers me?