Miguel-Week 7- “Say Word!!”

I have started to write something and deleted it six times already. I have so much energy and many thoughts/feelings/emotions coming into class.

In short, the Video on “Parent Power” (CEJ, 2012) is very near and dear to my heart. I remember the day this was filmed and the number of times I shared this video to the parent organizers in the Bronx. The some of the folks in the short film I have marched with, cried at rallies with, sat next to on the Bus ride to the NYS capital, and still follow on social media. I was a Youth Organizer around the time this with filmed with UYC. UYC and CEJ share the same office space and were both apart of The Annenberg Institute. I wish CEJ would make another video to show all of the amazing work Parents did during the NYC Student Metro-card fight soon after this video was made.

Rivera-McCutchen (2012) & CEJ (2012) both empathize the value of parent voice in education. Rivera-McCutchen (2012) & CEJ (2012) this a step further to suggest that parents engaging in the experiences of student is a key aspect to the students success. CEJ (2012) suggests that parents who engage in the negative aspects of student experiences (Lack of school resources, metal detectors, loss of programs). CEJ (2012) engages with parents through social-political-activism scope to make change happen. Rivera-McCutchen’s (2012) findings also suggest that knowing the social-political context that impact the lives of students is an important factor to grasp.

I’ve often said that engaging in organizing as a high school student has taught me things about life that I will use until my time on earth is done. Below are some questions I am sitting with

1. Why are school struggling to form parent associations?
  2. How might the NYCDOE include parent voices as of of the Panel for Education Policy?

2 thoughts on “Miguel-Week 7- “Say Word!!”

1. Kushya Sugarman

Hi Miguel, thank you so much for sharing about your relationship with the parents and community members featured in the video. It’s amazing that you have the opportunity to work alongside such passionate, thoughtful people. I was impressed by how determined, persistent and focused the parents were, and it was incredibly evident how much we need these voices in our schools.
    In response to your questions, I think that schools are struggling to form parent associations because of the lack of trust between marginalized parents and these institutions. Many parents feel (rightly so) that their voices will not be heard. Further, in our current predatory capitalist system, many parents are struggling to meet the needs of their families and do not have the capacity to engage with schools at the level that might be necessary.
    I do not know how the DOE structures work, but I think that it would be interesting if parents were able to vote in a representative or two onto whatever board of council is responsible for making large-scale decisions in the DOE.

2. Miguel Rodriguez (He/Him/His) Post author

Hey Kushya,

whats goodie.

The Lack of trust is real! I am also thinking that some of these schools are straight up wack and don’t want folks asking questions anyway. (sighs). Yes! I feel like there might be a push for parents joining the PEP. I will look this up!